“The human heart is a factory of idols . . . Everyone of us is, from his mother’s womb, expert in inventing idols.” –John Calvin
“An idol can be a physical object, a property, a person, an activity, a role, an institution, a hope, an image, an idea, a pleasure, a hero—anything that can substitute for God.” –Richard Keyes
Who or what is competing with God for first place in your life? Dr. David Powlison’s questions will help you find the answer—if you’re brave and committed enough to probe the depths of your heart for the answers.
- What do you love? Hate?
- What do you want, desire, crave, lust and wish for? Whose desires do you obey?
- What do you seek, aim for, pursue? What are your goals and expectations?
- What do you fear? What do you not want? What do you tend to worry about?
- What do you think you need? What are your felt needs?
- Where do you find refuge, safety, comfort, escape, pleasure, security?
- What or who do you trust?
- Who must you please? Whose opinion of you counts? From whom do you desire approval and fear rejection? Whose value system do you measure yourself against? In whose eyes are you living?
“The evil in our desire typically does not lie in what we want, but that we want it too much.” –John Calvin
What did you learn? What do you want too much?