When the righteous cry for help, the Lord hears and delivers them out of all their troubles. —Psalm 34:17
Is there any hope, in our lifetime, for the world to witness a united and revived Church? Could we really see our culture turn to Jesus as the only answer to the plague of sin, chaos, and brokenness?
God’s hand is not moved to act when His people gripe over their troubles, bicker, or blame others (as we’re all prone to do). God’s hand isn’t moved when we trust a government subsidy or political party to deliver us. God’s hand is moved when we humbly cry out.
When the Israelites prayed in desperate times of judgment, God assured them with this promise:
“If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land” (2 Chron. 7:14).
We can expect God to hear and answer when we cry out:
- “Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you” (1 Pet. 5:6).
- Pray: I humbly bend before You, Mighty God. Expose the hidden pride lurking in my heart.
- “‘Seek the Lord while he may be found; call upon him while he is near’” (Isa. 55:6).
- Pray: Father, give me a hunger for Your presence, love for Your Word, and grace to walk in Your ways.
- “Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out” (Acts 3:19).
- Pray: Lord, search my heart. How am I guilty of the sins I criticize in others?
Isn’t it time we cry out together with faith in the One who rules the universe? God is the only One who can help us—if we will ask.
How to Pray
O God, make us desperate, and grant us faith and boldness to approach Your throne, and make our petitions known, knowing that in so doing, we link arms with the Omnipotence and become instruments of Your eternal purposes on this earth. —Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth, A Place of Quiet Rest
What to Pray
- As we cry out for God to intervene in the world, invite Him to infuse fresh hope and faith in you.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to help you earnestly pray for the next thirty days and to give you a heart like His.
- Cry out for the Lord to deliver us in such a way that all the world will know that He did it and will give Him the praise worthy of His Name.