I turned forty this year, which makes me old enough to know that great friends are hard to come by.
And while I don’t have many friends, the ones I do have are lifelong friends who have influenced who I am today. With that in mind, I’d like to share with you my ten signs of a godly friend:
- She is more interested in speaking truth in your life than in agreeing with you.
- She sits with you when you’re miserable but tells you exactly when it’s time you snap out of it.
- She offers grace when you forget the obvious things like birthday presents.
- She patiently waits until you’re ready to talk about it.
- She pushes you to talk when you’re not willing to talk about it.
- She listens longer than she wants to.
- She looks where others are afraid to.
- She defends you in public but confronts you in private.
- She doesn’t always let you win.
- She stays knowing there is great power in enduring.
With these ten things in mind, I guess the better question today isn’t whether you have a godly friend, but …
Are you a godly friend?