Have you seen those fun “year in review” posts on Facebook? Maybe you’re sick of seeing them in your newsfeed—but they’re still pretty cool, right? Facebook uses the stats and analytics from your posts throughout 2014, and you get to see your year’s “highlights.” (The ones you posted on Facebook, at least!)
These posts gave me an idea, and that idea prompted me to go searching for a certain three-ring binder in my closet. I found it! And with it, I discovered a whole heap of memories and some notebook pages on which I journaled four years ago when I was a senior in high school.
Remembering how God worked in our lives is something that God’s people do.
On these pages, I had carefully recorded what God had done in my life that year. I wrote about surrendering to God’s will, digging into His Word, the mission team I traveled with, the lessons I learned at summer camp, the big blessings, the big struggles, and even the small, seemingly insignificant things. It’s a testimony of what God did in my life that year, and it’s definitely way cooler than any post I could share on Facebook.
So, inspired by those neatly written notebook pages, I’d like to share a challenge with you (while you might still be chilling in your PJs and recovering from all your Christmas celebrations). Create your own list of how God worked in your life this year.
It can be a short list, or it can be a ten-page journal entry—but however you decided to write it or type it, focus on our God who is always at work!
Here are some ideas for you:
- Did God show Himself strong in a particularly tough situation?
- Did you struggle through a painful trial? How did you grow closer to God through it?
- Did you go to camp or travel on a mission team? Write about what God did there!
- What about your fears, your hopes for the future, and your dreams? How is God at work?
- How did God use His Word to change your heart?
- How did God bless you?
- How did God challenge you?
- How did God encourage you?
- What was the most difficult part of your year? What did God teach you, or what did you learn about Him?
- Was there a time when you really doubted God? How did He show Himself faithful, even in your unbelief?
- What passages of Scripture did God weave into your heart this year?
Remembering how God worked in our lives isn’t just something that seasoned journalers with fancy pens and paper do. It’s something that God’s people do. We see God’s people recounting what He’s done all throughout Scripture! Just take a look at the Psalms, and you’ll see testimony after testimony of what God’s done. And we should be testimonies of God’s grace and faithfulness and goodness in our lives, too.
I’ve got some writing to do! Will you join me in this “year in review” challenge? Will you write down what God has done throughout 2014?
Leave me a comment if you’re in! And if you’d like, share a short testimony of what God’s done in 2014. Let’s fill up this comment section with praises to our God!