- What’s really keeping you from reading the Word of God? Rachel Jankovic says, “When we believe that something is absolutely critical to a healthy and decent life, we don’t excuse not making time for it—in the same way many of us do not ask ourselves every morning if we can find the time to put on underwear or drink coffee. . . . Whatever it takes, we will have the coffee, and we will wear the underwear.” If don’t always think of Scripture as absolutely essential to your life, Rachel wants to invite you to make a change: “Not a change of increased intentionality or thoughtfulness. A change to start believing in faith that the Bible really is what it says it is.”
- If you’re wanting to dive into God’s Word but you’re not sure where to begin, Revive Our Hearts’ new Advent devotional, Consider Jesus, was created to help you respond to God’s greatest gift! Another resource I’ve been loving is Tony Reinke’s reading plan, which leads readers through the entire book of Isaiah during the month of December. Print out the reading plan and schedule a time today to start reading and know that we’re rooting for you. May this “stunning prequel to Bethlehem” captivate your heart and deepen your appreciation and love for Christ.
- What do Super Girl and Bo Peep and The Powerpuff Girls have in common? Strength. At least, that’s what Hollywood would have us believe. “Like an IV drip into the vein of an unconscious patient, contemporary culture has pumped ideas about what it means to be a strong woman into the subconscious minds of an entire generation,” writes Mary Kassian. So, how do we go “From Girl Power Strong to the Right Kind of Strong”? Read this post to find out.
- If any of your December weekends have included a Hallmark-movie marathon, you’ll love Hannah Underhill’s hilarious commentary as much as I do. Hannah has been poking light-hearted fun at the cookie-cutter storylines, and on the Lies Young Women Believe blog, she also wrote about why so many of us gravitate toward these silly movies. Curl up on your couch next to the glow of the Christmas tree and enjoy, but before you press play on The Knight Before Christmas, read about the plot that Hannah says is far better than ANY Hallmark movie.
- ‘Tis the season to sip hot chocolate, build a blanket-nest, and start reading that stack of books you’ve heard good things about all year! If you’re not sure where to begin, check out The Gospel Coalition 2019 Book Awards. Their list includes categories like Christian Living, Arts and Culture, History and Biography, Devotional Literature, and my personal favorite—picture books. Happy reading!
Listings here do not imply endorsement of all writings and positions of the individuals mentioned.