I am thrilled to announce that we will be exploring the topic of discernment for the remainder of December. The Bible has much to say about discernment and if you are to be Truth speakers to your generation, discernment is a critical skill. But, what is discernment exactly?
Psalm 119:125 tells us, “I am your servant; give me discernment that I may understand your statutes.”
In Proverbs 17:24 we learn, “a discerning man keeps wisdom in view.”
Proverbs 18:5 says, “The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge; the ears of the wise seek it out.”
We can learn from these passages that discernment has to do with wisdom, knowledge, and understanding God’s statutes. Simply put, discernment is the ability to know the difference between Truth and error. What an important concept for you to be able to understand and apply as seekers of God’s Truth!
But, discernment isn’t always easy. It can be difficult to cut through the lies we have been told by the Deceiver and the world around us and to recognize how they contrast with God’s Truth. It can be even tougher to make right choices once we’ve exposed a lie. That’s why we will be exploring several topics related to distinguishing Truth from lies this month.
Here’s a preview of what we will be discussing.
- We’ll start with a week-long series on Twilight. It seems that everyone’s reading it. But should you? Several other women will join me in weighing in on the subject.
- I will also feature excerpts from a series Nancy did on Eckhart Tolle’s A New Earth. Millions have read it. Oprah’s endorsed it. But, is this book grounded in Truth? We’ll take a look.
- We will examine some practical ways to decide whether your media choices are wise or un-wise. I’ll even include some suggestions and reviews of some of my favorite books.
It’s going to be an exciting discussion. I am thrilled to be talking about these things with you.
Let’s get the ball rolling with your general thoughts on discernment. Here are some questions to get you thinking:
- What standards do you use to decide what books you will read and movies you will watch?
- What makes a specific media choice un-wise?
- Can fictional stories and movies be dangerous, even though we know they aren’t real?
- In what areas of your life do you find it difficult to sort out the different between Truth and error?
“And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God” Philippians 10:9-11.